Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Bittersweet Departure

As my boss was trying to pack up her office, she could barely get anything done because everyone wanted to come in and say goodbye and just sit for "a minute". My department is the largest one on campus so if you can just imagine those who wanted to just stop by or call bidding my boss farewell.

I didn't go in her office as people wandered in and out. I stayed in my own space and just continued to work as the day progressed along. Later in the day when it seemed as if the traffic had gone away, my boss called me into her office. I got up from my chair and walked into her office. She began to tell me how great we work together and that she couldn't tell me good-bye and that she wanted to use "see you later." I agreed.

She said that she would be back every now and then to help the Interim get adjusted, but not at least for 30 days because she is going to Denver to visit her grandchildren and then go to Alabama to visit her 91 year old mom. As my boss and I sat talking, her eyes welled up with tears and then she asked me if she could have a hug. I told her yes and that I would miss her.

It's sometimes hard to let go of people you care about, regardless of the situation. God never said it was going to be easy, but I know that He didn't bring us this far to just leave us out here. His words are that He will never leave nor forsake us; no matter how many people come in and out of our lives, He and His word will never change. I will still keep in touch with my previous boss because just because she isn't here doesn't mean that we have to burn our bridges, I never know when I may need to cross them one day or another.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your next boss is as considerate and easy to work with as this one was. If not, I'm sure you'll handle it - no doubt you will (smile).

    ReplyDelete