Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Attitudes don't work with me

A student came into the office today complaining that the class she just registered for is not the class for her. She said that the instructor was rude and she wasn't going to take any rudeness from anybody. Well the class actually started on Thursday, which means that if you miss the first day of class, it is at the instructor's discretion to keep you or not. I asked her why she didn't come to class on the very first day. Not only that, she didn't come on the second day either. With this being a six-week class, it's going to move rather fast and the instructor doesn't have time to stop and start over. It just wouldn't be fair to the other students who were actually in class on time.

Well this young heathen, so naive, gets all loud in my office and wants to know why she can't get special treatment because today is her first day. I'm trying to tell her once again that class started on Thursday and that she had the option to either drop the class or stay in it and deal with it. Oh my gosh, the head rolling started. What is the purpose of rolling your head when you talk...I already see right now that this is a situation for my boss to handle. After I get my boss, the student is already on her cell phone talking so loud. She goes in to the same story she told me but my boss basically told her the same thing. The student is all up in my boss' face and my boss actually had to tell her to back up off her.

There were a few confrontational words the student had because my boss would not let her go back into the class. After the student left, my boss looked at me and I was like, these folks don't understand that this is college, this is not high school. I then said, "I should've slapped her in the mouth and told her to put her big girl panties on and deal with it." We both laughed hysterically because my boss knows that my 16 and 13 year old had better keep attitudes away or I will get one myself and still be giving God all the praise at the same time.

6 comments:

  1. There's nothing worse than BAD ATTITUDES, ugh. I pray she will mature a bit because she will definitely reap what she sows ;) kudos to you for keeping your calm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I like teaching and learning from the "love" perspective myself.. Maybe her attitude was a round about way of asking for some love. You never can tell. I know some old heads who behave that-away.. Just to get some love. Just a humble thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Queen Bee, wow your good I don't know how I would have dealt with that! You know she's probably had a bad attitude her whole life, poor thing. It won't get her where she needs to go in life. Next time she comes in your office put some oil on her then throw her out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When are people going to learn that they can get more cooperation from others by being nice versus being a bonehead? You don't get anyone to do anything for you while you are talking junk. I agree with Ms. Wanda.

    Glad you didn't lay hands on her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She started off on the wrong foot and in the wrong office - yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The irony here is she claims instructor was rude and she wasn't going to take any rudeness from anybody, but yet she's tje rude one.

    ReplyDelete