Monday, August 10, 2009

Say what?

If anyone has teenagers at home, we all know that they have a different language than most of us. They have their own style of clothing, their own style of friends and even their own style of music. I feel that in order to be in tune with today's teenagers that we must be aware of some of the crazy things they do, and even listen to some of the downright crap they listen to. I may not be where they are 24/7 but I at least need to "feel" them.



Well my kids are the typical teenagers. They love to text. Period. There is no gratification or explanation there. Texting to them is like going to work for us. Whenever my kids send me a message, they like to use a lot of instant message lingo. When my 16 year old daughter sent me a message, I had to go back and read it again to try and comprehend what it said. I am the type of person who doesn't like using all the lingo, I'd rather just spell out the word if I can. Here are a few texting lingo that I think, as parents, that we should be in tune to with our children. So if your kids are texting and you have no idea what they are saying, check it out. For all we know, they could be building a bomb and we not even know it.

2moro - Tomorrow
2nite - Tonight
BRB - Be Right Back
BTW - By The Way
B4N - Bye For Now
BCNU - Be Seeing You
BFF - Best Friends Forever
DBEYR - Don’t Believe Everything You Read
FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Disinformation
FWIW - For What It’s Worth
GR8 - Great
ILY - I Love You
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IRL - In Real Life
ISO - In Search Of
J/K - Just Kidding
L8R - Later
LOL - Laughing Out Loud -or- Lots Of Love
LYLAS - Love You Like A Sister
MHOTY - My Hat’s Off To You
NIMBY - Not In My Back Yard
NP - No Problem
NUB - it stands for a new person
OIC - Oh, I See
OMG - Oh My God
OT - Off Topic
PIR - Parents In Room
POV - Point Of View
RBTL - Read Between The Lines
RT - Real Time
RTM - Read The Manual
SITD - Still In The Dark
STBY - Sucks To Be You
SWAK - Sealed With A Kiss
TFH - Thread From Hell
THX - Thanks
TLC - Tender Loving Care
TMI - Too Much Information
TTYL - Talk To You Later
TYVM - Thank You Very Much
VBG - Very Big Grin
WEG - Wicked Evil Grin
WYWH - Wish You Were Here
XOXO - Hugs and Kisses

5 comments:

  1. LOL, what an informative and fun post! I've learned most of the shortcuts from being on message boards but I still hate using them. I don't know why but even seeing them grinds on my nerves. :-)

    TTFN & THX!

    Hugs ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. lawd u need a pocket dictionary for all this...took me the longest to figure out MILF and SMH

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that was way TMI to comprehend. I know my butt is old, I can't keep up with all of that! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I so appreciate this, I haven't a clue what they're on about half the time.
    I will now refer to this everytime I am stuck.
    Thanks
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete