Saturday, March 19, 2011

Give me what's mine

Our 17 year old daughter came to me and said, "Mom, when I move out, will you pay a month's rent for me?" My reply was, "What's the point of moving out if I gotta pay your rent...so HECK TO THE NALL."  A few minutes later, our daughter comes to me again and said, "Mom, when I get me a car, will you pay the first note for me?" I asked her where was she going with all of this. She said that she just don't know if she will be able to make it on her own when she gets older and that she wants me to take care of her when she moves out.

Now, I don't know what other parents do but I'm not that parent and my child has lost her everlasting rabbit mind because no human in their right mind would ever bring that notion up that I continue to take care of her after she has moved out. I did tell her that she can stay here until she gets herself together and save a little money though. I told our daughter that is the point of growing up and moving on is to do things for herself and to put her priorities first. She asked me how will she eat and pay bills and still have money to spend....my answer for her was to have more than one job. She wasn't too happy about that and asked me if I was insane.

For every question our daughter asked, I had an answer for her. How will she wash her clothes? My answer is to go to the laudromat. She said she thought she could just pack up her stuff and come over here and do laundry. Hold up...I don't take my clothes over to MS and use up my mama nem water. That's their life and their house, not mine and if our children is wanting to have the title of adult, then they got to be treated like adults, even if it's that tough love mentality.

The point I'm trying to get our daughter to understand is that she will have to pay for everything herself and all she sees is that "our money" (which amounts to none) should be rolled over for her money. I was like, "WHAT???" She expects to go to work but the money she makes will be just for her and that she will "use" us for everything else. I told her that she has it all wrong and that she will understand it better by and by.

No comments:

Post a Comment