Thursday, October 8, 2009

From days of old

As children grow, they tend to have different personalities. Today, they are moody. Tomorrow, they don't know why the caged bird sings. But when they step into that teenage world, oh my gosh, they are all half crazy majority of the time. When hubby is talking to our 16 and 13 year old teenagers, he likes to refer to "when he was a boy". Not that anything is wrong with that, but some of that stuff just doesn't apply to today's society.

Hubby: "When I was a boy, I walked 15 miles one way and 15 miles back."
Newsline: Teenager pulled in van, raped.

Hubby: "When I was a boy, I walked through a dark wooded area."
Newsline: Teenager pulled in van, raped.

Hubby: "When I was a boy, I went fishing while my mom was at work."
Newsline: Teenager drowns while fishing.

When today's children grow up, they can say, "when I was a child, my parents drugged me to church, and beat the crap out of me, but are we teaching them the true values in life? Love each other, respect one another. What happened to the days when children had to say yes ma'am, no ma'am. Things change because it's a sign of the times but some things never change. Charity begins at home and it will still linger on from those days of old.

Lovingly yours,

1 comment:

  1. I'm only 31 but I do tend to say quite a bit, "What happened to 'xyz' the way it was back in the day?"

    smooches,
    Larie

    ReplyDelete