Monday, October 12, 2009

Even when no one knows

This past Saturday, my 13 year old son and his football team players, had to do a can shake outside of Wal-Mart to help raise money for their team. One of my co-workers knew about it but said that she wouldn't be able to go by and support the team; so she gave me a bag full of coins to drop in their can and I said that I would. The plan was for me to drop son off, then swing back around and walk in and put the money in the can. Before all of that, I showed son all the change that would be dropped in his can and that he should thank my co-worker for graciously supplying an adequate amount of change.

Well son saw the change and said, "WOW, we should just keep it for ourselves." I told him that we were not going to do that and that it was going to be dropped in the can. He said that no one would know. I tried to explain to him that God knows everything and that even if no one sees you, God sees. I told him that the change was meant for him and his team and that is what it is going for. I told him how God likes things to be done decent and in order and we went on and on about this and that. I told him that even if we needed it for something, I would ask for it instead of just keeping it for myself.

When I went to drop him off at Wal-Mart, I then parked the car and my daughter and I walked up to the door and poured all the change out of the bag. The other kids standing at the door was like, "WOW" and then son looked up and said, "Thanks Mom." I didn't know if he meant for the change itself or the lesson. It was a very deserving "You're welcome" and I then went on my way.

Lovingly yours,

1 comment: