Saturday, October 29, 2011

Moving

My boss came to me and said that she needed to talk to me in her office. I didn't know what was going on but I went in with an open mind anyway. She started out asking me if I was ok and I said yes. My open mind was now shut. What did she want me in here for? I sat in the chair and proceeded to listen to what she was about to say. She said that she had gotten offered the position of Dean (a higher position) and that she accepted the position. So with her accepting that position, that means she would be moving from our department and our building. I did not express any emotion at that point and I continued to listen.

My boss took a deep breath and said, "You are moving with me." I didn't know what to say. I had so much going on inside at that point because instead of thinking of me, I thought of all the 70 people I work with and I was just one admin and how they would be lost without me. I started to think of what they would say when the announcement would be made that I was moving out of my department. Then my boss said that the move should take place real soon. That is now the talk around the office of what they will do without me being there. I want to be excited but I do not know what to feel. It's like a bittersweet moment.

I know I will be in a better looking office and I am so grateful that I still have a job and I also know it will give me an opportunity to move up. I have packed up everything in my office and there are 5 boxes sitting there. The people that used to come by and say hello says that they just can't come down the hall like they used to because they can't bear to see me leave. They see the boxes sitting there and says that it just don't feel the same. They are happy that my boss chose me to go with her but they are definitely not happy that I have to leave. I know it can't go both ways. I am so used to the office being somewhat noisy with people coming in and out, people down the hallway...and this week has been the quietest week EVER!! All I know is that moving day will be approaching soon and I have to go and I tell the people in my department that they can come and visit me in my new office but they say it just will not be the same.

2 comments:

  1. Movin' on up! Sounds like a raise for her, so it better be one for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks a lot for sharing this information. Cheers!

    movers north andover, ma

    ReplyDelete