Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My living is not in vain

I left stopped off at the grocery store early this morning so I could buy me something for lunch. The only store that was open at 6 something in the morning was Wal-Mart and so when I went inside, I looked at my watch and had about fifteen minutes to waste before I went to work, which was just up the road. So I walked around trying to find something I could throw in the microwave because I knew I wouldn't be taking a lunch today because of all the work I needed to get done. As I walked towards the freezer section, I saw some pizzas that were usually four dollars or more were on sale for 1.98. Hmmmm, I think I should get the kids a few of them but since I was on my way to work, there wasn't anywhere to keep pizzas until I got off work.

When I got off work, I decided to swing back by there just to see if there were a few pizzas left at that price to pick up. Sure enough, there were tons of pizza and I got a few of them and then thought that we needed bread, so I picked that up too. While I was walking down the aisle where the bread was, an elderly gray-haired white lady in one of those wheelchair scooters from the store rolled up near me and said, "Excuse me, can you tell me where the frozen dumplings are." I said, "Well, I think they are over on the next aisle" and I pointed over to the freezer section where I thought they were. She rolled on over to the other side and I was leaving the bread aisle about to go and check out. As I walked passed the freezer section, I saw the elderly lady still rolling and glancing in the glass doors of the freezer section.

I backed up and turned around and went to her and said, "Looks like you haven't found them yet." She said, "No, I haven't found them yet." I looked into this elderly lady eyes and all I could see was if that was my mother and needed help. I said, "Well let me look for them for you." I told her that she didn't have to move and that I would find the dumplings for her. I also told her that I'm guessing I would find them either by the pie crusts or the biscuits. As I was looking down by the pie crust, the elderly lady was parked (no pun intended) by the biscuits and she said, "Ma'am, I think I see them." Oh cute it was someone who could have probably passed as my great-grandmother calling me ma'am. So I walked on down and sure enough I found the frozen dumplings that was located on the very top shelf and I opened the glass door, reached up and got a pack down for the elderly lady. I asked if she needed more than one and she said that one was fine. She thanked me and we both went on our way. That was a good feeling.

Lovingly yours,

1 comment:

  1. There is a name for this 'good' feeling that comes when we help someone. I can't remember the term, but I actually heard it this week on some medical show! Cool, huh? I was in the store this week and helped an elderly lady empty her basket onto the checkout counter. She said if people stopped helping her, she'd have to stay home.

    ReplyDelete