Friday, August 27, 2010

And your point would be what?

Let's just break it down right now before I take this another further. My work schedule is Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. We are not allowed overtime so why bother. When my shift is done, I leave, because I am being paid to be here at the college from 7:30 till 4:00, nothing earlier, nothing later. So with that being said, yesterday evening around 3:54, I get a call from another office asking if my department head was in. I told the irate, impatient lady that my boss was gone to a meeting.

She inquired as to how long she would be gone. I told her that according to the calendar, it showed my boss at the meeting from 3:30 to 5:00. When I told her that, she then said to me, "Well how long are you gonna be here?" Without hesitation, I told her that I leave at 4:00 o'clock. The lady on the phone then says, "Well, I have an upset parent over here and she needs to talk to your department head." At that point, I replied, "And your point would be what?" The lady on the phone didn't like my answer and so she said, "So if you have an upset parent, you wouldn't stay later to help that person?" I said, "No ma'am. I get off at 4:00 and that she can make an appointment and I'll put it on the boss' calendar." The lady once again said, "But she's upset." I said, "Well she is gonna have to be upset and get over it because I'm leaving and my boss is not here."

I enjoy my job but my job is not my life. People expect you to just drop everything when they want you to without regard to other things in your life. What about my family that is waiting on me to come home to help them with homework or just to tell me about their day? It may sound cruel but work is work and when it's time to go, it's time to go.  I've got other things to do and as for the lady who was upset, well looks like life didn't stop because of her not getting her way. My phrase is put your big girl draws, thongs, hipsters  panties on and deal with it.

Lovingly yours,

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Many would love you have your balls...oops...I mean your boldness (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmbo... you should have told her that if she couldn't be helped in 6 minutes that she would have to just postponed her being upset until Monday

    ReplyDelete