Sunday, December 6, 2009

Vacation Adventure - Part III - After my vacation

Well I finally made it to this point. The first day I returned back to work, I expected to hear that everything was ok while I was gone and I didn't expect to do as much work. It turns out that it was just the opposite. Everybody came up to me telling me this and telling me that. They need this and they need that. Excuse me, but where are the "I miss you's" and "Hope you had a good vacation." Instead, it's "whew, boy oh boy are we glad that you are back, I......." and it goes on. My mind is like, "shut up you complaining people, go away and find me some lunch, will ya." Ok, ok, as soon as I walked in the door, my boss says that she needs to talk to me. That doesn't sound good to my ears at 7:30 in the morning....on a Monday morning at that. She begins to tell me how my student worker didn't do this and how she had an attitude all while I was gone. My boss tells me that my student worker came in late one day and didn't call or anything and now my boss feels that after one week of me being gone from work, that she doesn't want my student worker there anymore. Can somebody say, "Another vacation." LOUDER, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

I did know what I was doing when I took off work because I knew that when I got back that I would only have to work three more weeks until I was off again for Christmas break. Yes, I get two weeks off with pay. One week has already passed and now that leaves me with nine working days left. I can do this.

So I wait until my student worker comes in and sit and talk with her to hear her side of the story. True enough, she tells me everything my boss has already told me but of course, she doesn't feel that she had an attitude with my boss. I could go on and on, but I had to get to the bottom of this and not let it linger on. I then told my student worker that my boss feels that she is not office material and doesn't want her to come back to work. She is astonished. I tell her that her last day will be this Friday, Dec. 11 and that she won't be working for us next semester. That was like a kick in the throat.

As the week went on, my student worker did all the work we asked of her to do and didn't hesitate about anything. My boss came to me and said that she has seen a great improvement in her and wants to know if we can consider her to come back next semester. I'm like, she needs to make up her mind. One minute I've told the girl that she can't come back and now boss wants me to tell her that she can stay. What kind of larky crap is that? Boss must be smoking major crack-a-meth. I explained to my boss that's one of the reasons why we have a student worker because they are not used to working in the office, we are to help give them that training so that they will be able to work in offices and we are to help them through the mistakes instead of trying to get rid of them when they do make mistakes. She said she wasn't looking at it like that and was glad I pointed that out to her. Boss then went over to student worker and told her how great of a job she is doing. Now all I need is for Dec. 17 to roll around here and the college will be closed for two weeks. I can do this.

Lovingly yours,
QueenBee (no siggy today) :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I wish I could get a two week vacation!
    I was watchin' the news the other night. Teachers on strike because they want at 13% raise over the next 2 years.
    Last year, we got no raise, no 3 month summer break, no 18 holidays, no spring break, and no 2 week winter holiday.
    It must be nice to be able to demand money in a recession~

    ReplyDelete