Thursday, June 21, 2012

Stop the madness

I don't think I have a stressful job at all. What makes it stressful is trying to conquer work and school and family and a social life and church. I am stretched out thin. Well the job had been put upon me to do the college catalog. When it came to me, I asked them if they had lost their minds. A college catalog, are you freaking kidding me! Well the job was given to me back in October 2011 and they said they wanted it to be done by May 31, 2012. I asked them who all was going to be involved in this project and they told me it was going to be just me. I looked at them cock-eyed and said, "If I got to do this solo, then you can not have a deadline of May 31."  I guess they thought I was kidding. The catalog was a big deal. If I had to just type up everything, then maybe the deadline would have been ok; but since you had to go to all these departments and make sure that was right, and then the people in that department and then all the degrees and all the courses.....geez, enough already.

Well as time moved on, and I started incorporating information, it was coming together very slowly. I told them I needed help on this catalog. They could not see it my way. This is where my not so stressful job started becoming stressful. Every time I would get to a point where the page looked good, other departments would come and say they needed to make a change to this or that. I wanted to take that catalog and burn it. As the deadline day started approaching, again I asked for help and this time they put several people on this project with me. I was the leader and everyone else followed. It was crazy around my office, no, it was crazy at the college because EVERYBODY knew that I had this project. When I would walk down the hall or go into another building, people would call me out and say, "Barbara, how is the catalog going?" I didn't even know some of them people. I felt that I could not concentrate in my school because of this stupid catalog, but I managed to do what I had to do. The deadline came and we were still not done with this catalog.

One of the problems is that they had us doing it in Word, and we just could not get some of the things lined up like we wanted to. EVERYBODY, and I do mean EVERYBODY kept trying to tell the big shots that they needed to do it in Publisher, but they did not want to listen, which in turn made our jobs harder. Well, after months and months of working on the catalog, the big shots then decided they wanted it in Publisher because it was better. I thought I was going to pull my hair out because it was like extra work. Well in between all of that, I had my regular work to do. Finally after 2 weeks of passing the deadline, that darn catalog went to print. I was one happy camper. I am ready to see the finished product once it has been bound together, and then after that, get that thing out of my face.

~QUEENBEE~

No comments:

Post a Comment