Monday, June 24, 2013

On Speaking

There is a guy who has an office inside of our office. Most times, I never know that he is in there. When you come into my office, I am the first person you see, so it's rather hard to manuever in the office without seeing me. The reason why I don't know that this guy is in there is because he never speaks to no one. When he walks in first thing in the morning, I am usually there before he does. He walks right past my desk and will not speak unless I speak first. So yes I am usually the first one to say good morning and then he will reply with a good morning as well. I decided to conduct my own study, which was not going to serve no purpose at all. I decided that I wasn't going to speak one morning and to see if he would speak first. He did not. I acted as if I never noticed him when he came in and then when he did come in, he was so quiet in his back office that I walked by his office on purpose and he still did not give a notion of good morning. Hmmm, I thought to myself, he just doesn't like to speak. He doesn't have conversation throughout the day either, which I am cool with that, because I have work to do. But he doesn't even have a small conversation like, "Whew, it's a long day." or " I sure will be glad when it is time to get off." NOTHING.

The next morning, the guy walks in and I greeted him again by saying good morning, and he replied and then proceeded to his back office. Ignoring him that morning did not prove anything, but I figured I would be the bigger person and continue to say good morning and with a cheerfulness at that. I kept saying good morning every morning he walked in and that was the beginning and the end of our "daily" conversation. But he will not say it unless I say it first. I don't even know what the problem is or even if he has one. None of that matters. I just don't see the harm in say good morning or just speaking to people in general. It just seems cordial. One evening though he did shock me and said for me to have a good evening as he walked out the door. I was too overwhelmed, but I left it at that.  I will continue to say good morning because there may be a day when I can no longer express how good of a morning it really is, even when you feel it is not.

QUEENBEE

No comments:

Post a Comment